Sister Cajetan Spelman History Scholarship
The History Department would like to congratulate the Spring 2013 winner of the Sister Cajetan Spelman Award. Jake Zadra won first prize for his essay titled "The Uncertainty of Werner Heisenberg’s Principles." Jake now works in the Emergency Room at St. Mary’s Hospital in Madison and is in the process of applying to medical school. He plans to begin medical school in August of 2014 with intentions of becoming an Emergency Medicine physician.
Amount of Scholarship
$250.00 applied against tuition.
- Declared major in History or Broad Fields Social Science with a History concentration.
- Junior or senior standing in the year the scholarship is used.
- Post-Baccalaureate students are not eligible.
- No student can win the award more than once.
- Minimum GPA in the major of at least 3.5
Application Process and Deadlines
- Submit the following to the chair of the History Department:
A. A letter of application stating your academic goals and your current GPA, both cumulative and in History.
B. writing sample, which must be a paper done for a History course.
- Applications must be received on or before April 13. Announcement of the award will be made by email and letter.
The History faculty constitutes the selection committee, which is chaired by the Department chairperson, who is a voting member of the selection committee.
2012-13: Jake Zadra
2011-12: Casey Knight
2010-11: Jayson Benson
2009-10: First Prize Nicole Ley, Second Prize Matthew Schmid
2008-09: First Prize Mellissa Lemke, Second Prize Matthew Pollock
2007-08: First Prize Nicole Wells, Second Prize Samantha Jordan
2005-06: Stephanie Hinz
2004-05: Tyler Schueffner
2003-04: Aaron Wirth, Stephanie Drescher
2002-03: Eileen Flemming
2001-02: Julene Elmer
2000-01: Marianne Matt, Geoffrey Blake-Horst
1999-2000: Sarah Ludlum